Friday, October 15, 2010

Fifth Day of Class

After the usual fine breakfast at the Nordholms, we left for school. We make a slight detour to drop off the recycling. As you can see there are quite a few more ways to divide your recycling here. Also, you need to bring your recycling to the centre to sort it. It is hard enough to get people to recycle in Canberra where they pick it up, and you don’t have to sort through it very much.

IMG_6126_edited-1

On the way to Chemistry building we pass the library:

IMG_6127_edited-1

We are in right place:

IMG_6136_edited-1IMG_6130_edited-1

Timing is critical when you want to enter the Chemistry building through the revolving door.

IMG_6129_edited-1  

I am hanging my hat in Sture’s office while I am in Sweden:

IMG_6132_edited-1

I then spent the first part of the morning discussing with Sture the quality of the project proposals that had been submitted by the students thus far. But as fate would have it, it was time for morning tea in the tea room for the 5th and 6th floor. One of the more interesting things about the tea room is that it has 4 microwaves to cope for the demand for people heating their lunch.

IMG_6133_edited-1

After tea, I skyped Linda and found out that she had been industriously sanding away in preparation for painting the interior woodwork in the house. The settings for cable in the living room had been scrambled, so we also able to fix that up during the conversation.

After a bit more work on the students’ proposals, it was time to go to lunch. We first passed by a fairly recent wooden structure. On previous days, I had seen students relaxing on top of the sculpture.

IMG_6135_edited-1

We also passed what used to be part of the hospital complex now taken over by the University. It is now apparently occupied by some type of consultancy firm:

IMG_6137_edited-1

We had a nice (and too large) meal with some of Sture’s colleagues off campus where I got to discuss LSU, cajuns, and frogging in the swamp at some length. Sture needed a bandage for his tennis elbow, so he stopped at the pharmacy:

IMG_6138_edited-1

Apparently, they used to be government run, but they are now private.

I think all of the restrooms in the building are unisex. I know they were on Sture’s floor:

IMG_6131_edited-1

I spend the rest of the early afternoon working on a lecture and talking to a student about his project. Then it was time for class. Rather amazingly, the vast majority of the students were there on a 3-5 PM Friday class. Here is a picture I took of part of the class:

IMG_6141_edited-1

Sture took this picture of me right before class.

IMG_6143_edited-1

After class, we came more or less straight home. Lena had come home early as she and Sture had a tennis match and subsequent socializing from 7 PM. She fixed a delicious flatfish with a roe and mayonnaise sauce.

I have been in Sweden a week now, so I had to do my laundry. The Nordholms have a drying room which is where I have put my washed clothes to dry overnight. One of the reasons this works well is the their washer spins so much water out of the clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment