Well, Linda took me to the Canberra Airport. She stayed for a while but had to get back to work as she was still working towards a deadline. Anyways, I was able to check my one bag to Gothenburg with no trouble. There was no drama to the flight to Sydney. Even after making the bus trip from the domestic to international terminal in Sydney, I still had an hour and a half up my sleeve before boarding QANTAS 005. Linda had been kind enough to upgrade my seat so that I was able to be on the aisle next to the bulkhead thus giving extra leg room. I’m glad it was the aisle seat: the fellow sitting in the window seat next to the bulkhead was cramped by it so that I doubt that he had as much leg room as in a regular seat.
Anyway, it took about 8 hours to get to Singapore, where we spent 2 hours in a transit lounge after passing through another security check. So, I just spent a bit more time reading my ipad. The Singapore leg was just the warm up, of course. We then had the 12 hour leg from Singapore to Frankfurt. Although most of the flight was in the dark, the body clock was saying: it’s the middle of the day.
After a simple passport and electronic ticket check, I passed through security at Frankfurt and go my boarding pass at the boarding pass processing area. We were then bussed out 2 km from terminal to the plane (Lufthansa). We then took about an hour and a half to fly to Gothenburg. Rather wonderfully, my check in luggage had arrived as well, and the customs line taking people who had nothing to declare was not even manned! Sture was there to greet me, and he took me to his place where he and Lena had very thoughtfully prepared a very nice room for me to stay in.
Sound like fun ... we'll look forward to hearing how the trip went. It's kind of cold in northern Europe around this time of year.
ReplyDeleteCheers, John Moffitt