Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Second Day of Class

Unfortunately, I woke up a bit early at about 2AM. Anyway, I worked on a few things on the computer to get ready for the second day of class. After the usual fine Nordholm breakfast (They are very fond of porridge by the way.) Sture drove us to school.

After some confusion about the room allocations, Berndt, Sture’s friendly IT guy, managed to install the needed programs before the lectures. We also had a tramp around campus to find the computer labs for the 3rd and 4th session as the one we will usually use was previously booked. Unfortunately, they are not as nice (and have no inbuilt projector) as the Chemistry computer labs. As Linda says, we will adapt and overcome.

I gave my second set of lectures, and it continued to be a satisfying experience for me. In particular, the students are genuinely interested in the subject material and are picking projects that are relevant to their research interests: assessment is not the only goal for them.

After class I went to what should have been a reasonably interesting seminar about large molecules in outer space. Unfortunately, I nodded off as I was so tired.

I have been copying a few more CDs for people who want the subject material in the course but are not official registrants. I am also incorporating some feedback from the students into the future lectures and preparing a document that provides web links to queries they have of a specialized nature that aren’t specifically covered by the course.

As we all know Sture has always been a fantastic eater. However, he has really come into his own since I visited the Nordholms last as a cook. He cooked a very good baked cod dish for the evening meal last night.

There was a big soccer match between Sweden and Holland last night. I occupied a place on the couch and dozed through the first half and then went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Are you allowed to take pictures at the school? It would be nice to see what the location looks like.

    ReplyDelete